Monday, August 29, 2011

Message from Garth Cameron

Hi Gang; Garth here...some of you will be happy and relieved to hear this and others...well not so much. I have done some serious digging into the time that is required to be mayor of Tofino and do a good job. The thing is that I have contractual commitments in Ucluelet that require 40 hrs per week per year and out of that I get 3 weeks off a yr. If I were to be successful in the election and become mayor the hours required to fill that position could not interfere with the hours required under contract here in Ucluelet. Thus I would have to put in 9 to 10 hrs per day to offset meetings during the day (this time includes more than just meetings in Tofino) I would have to use up my holidays in order to attend conferences that occur throughout the year. So in a nut shell my work day would consist of 9-10 hr work days with no holidays for 3 yrs. Though the holidays in question are paid leave that I’m in titled to, any more time away would be at the discretion of my employer and may not be granted. I really enjoy working with the general public and I have an awesome working relationship with the local contractors here in this area and would find it hard to leave my job in order to fill the seat of mayor. It is with regret that I have to withdraw my idea of running for this position, (I would have loved to give this type of service for Tofino) but giving the style of employment I do have, I believe I would be selling short the people of Tofino (my town too) because of the time that would be required to full fill the office of the mayor and all of its commitments compared to the time that I would have available to give. I’m sure you would all agree with me when I say that I would not expect anyone else to give this much to in order fill such a challenging and rewarding seat. I have had enormous amounts of requests and support to run for the position of mayor and thank you all for your phone calls, e-mails and words of encouragement.



Garth

No comments: