About Council Highlights
Council highlights provide a brief summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings. Complete agenda packages and meeting minutes can be found under “Council Meetings & Decisions” on our homepage.
Highlights – February 23, 2016 Council Meetings
· Dr. Paul Hasselback, Medical Health Officer for Central Vancouver Island, delivered a presentation to Council regarding the impacts that local governments can have to alleviate substance use and abuse issues. The presentation provided a comparison of the Alberni and West Coast regions with Vancouver Island and the rest of B.C. in terms of alcohol consumption, illicit drugs, marijuana and treatment options.
· Jen Dart, Executive Director for the Tofino Long-Beach Chamber of Commerce, delivered a presentation regarding the Tofino Ambassador Program (TAP) that outlined program objectives, program delivery roles, growth and future funding of the program.
· A request for proposals (RFP) and the release of $10,000 from the Special Projects Reserve were approved to engage a consultant to assist on the issue of seasonal worker housing in the District of Tofino.
· Council approved an updated Fire Protection Service Agreement between the District of Tofino and the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District for fire protection at the Long Beach Airport. The new agreement enables the Tofino Volunteer Fire Department to be dispatched to the airport for structure and airplane fires but does not include Pacific Rim National Park Reserve or First Nations communities as each location has its own requirements for emergency assistance.
· The Resort Municipality Initiative Event Support Grants were awarded to the following applicants:
o Clayoquot Oyster Festival - $1,560
o Pacific Rim Whale Festival (2017) - $1,000
o Carving on the Edge Festival - $3,500
o Cultural Heritage Festival - $3,000
o Tofino Paddle Surf Qualifier - $2,500
o West Coast Farm & Garden Show - $2,100
o Clayoquot Salmon Festival - $1,340
o Queen of the Peak - $1,000
o Tofino Food and Wine Festival - $500
o Tofino Shorebird Festival (2017) - $1,500
o Bruhwiler Kids Classic - $1,000
o Tofino Lantern Festival - $1,000
· Council passed a motion to thank the RCMP for their attendance at the Special Committee of the Whole meeting help February 3, 2016, and reaffirmed support for the new Tofino Detachment Building.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-725-3229.
The next regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held Tuesday, March 15, 2016.